USGA/GAM Handicap
Related Pages

General Handicapping FAQs

What if I make a mistake when I am posting my score?

Golfers may NOT edit or delete their own scores. Contact the GAM at or a club administrator to make the correction for you. 


How do I know when my scores will be updated and calculated into my official USGA / GAM Handicap Index?

Handicap Indexes are revised DAILY. As long as the score is posted prior to midnight EST, your Handicap Index will reflect this score the following day.   

How many scores does it take to establish a USGA/GAM Handicap Index?
You must have at least 3 18-hole scores posted to establish a Handicap Index. Nine-hole scores that you post will combine with other 9-hole score
s and appear as
 an 18-hole score.


What do the following letters mean next to my scores (H, A, N, C)?
H = Home Score

A = Away Score

N = 2 Nine Hole Combined Scores

C = Competition Score


Can I post a 9-hole score? 
Yes! 9-hole scores can still be posted via the GAM website or the GHIN Mobile App.


 What if I need my handicap outside of the U.S.?

If you are playing outside the U.S. and need proof of your handicap here is a solution: Login to your GAM profile and click "View Handicap." You will be able to print your Handicap Card from that page. Your Handicap Card can also be viewed on the GHIN Mobile App. 

How can I post my winter scores from out of state?

You can post your out-of-state scores the same way that you post Michigan scores that are not from your home club. Set the AWAY tab search for the state where you played and look up the course from which you need to record your score.


How can I link my GAM handicap record with my handicap record from my out-of-state club?

You should have the same GHIN number with GAM as with your out-of-state club. If you see that you have two different GHIN numbers, please contact If your out-of-state club is in Canada, contact the GAM at and include the following information in your email: your name, the name of your GAM club, your GHIN number and the name of your out-of-state club, the province it is in, and what would be the equivalent of your handicap ID number from that club. 


What if I belong to two different GAM clubs?

Your handicap records must be linked making you a “multi member.” This way, you won’t have to double post your scores. Wherever you post, your scores will flow into one single handicap record. Just contact the GAM at with your name, the name of the two clubs to which you belong, and your GHIN number. 


Will I have to pay membership dues at the GAM and my other state association? 

 Yes, you will have to pay the annual membership fee at all state/regional golf associations to which you belong. Membership in a state golf association includes many other benefits in addition to handicap service and membership dues cover all of those things.

Will this make me a member of the USGA?
 This will NOT make you a USGA member. However, just as it is now, your Handicap Index will be an official USGA Handicap Index.